Friday, April 12, 2013

A World Passing Away

One of my early memories is wandering around the Haverford Township Library. In those dark, dusty stacks, I found and read a biographies of Thomas Jefferson and Sun Yat-Sen, and Ed Jablonski's then recent history of the B-17. My grandfather Swartz had a bookshelf behind his easy chair, where I found and read Herman Wouk's "The Caine Mutiny." I can remember it as if it were yesterday, but it's been a half-century.

And it's not as if there weren't books at my parent's house, there were plenty. Part of their allowance to me was a book a month. By the time I was 10, I had a complete set of the Hardy Boys, and had moved on to natural histories. They were great, but not enough. I read.

And then, as I oriented myself in life, there were and are the great stacks of Wells, Altgeld, Eckhart, Regenstein, and Crerar, and their seldom visited archives, in which I found the copies of Mathematische Annalen that contained Richard von Mises's original, flawed definition of randomness.

But life doesn't end at thirty. My wife and I recently downsized, moving from the five bedroom house in which we raised our kids to the two bedroom condo we hope to spend the next twenty years or so. I've had to cut down to 75 linear feet of shelf space, about 60% of what we had in the old house, not counting the boxes in the basement that date from my undergraduate years. It's been a hard cull, and it's not entirely done. Almost all of the paperbacks are gone, along with most of the cookbooks. Goodbye, Bernard Cornwell; goodbye, W.E.B. Griffin; goodbye, Frugal Gourmet. I knew you well. Thank you.

Harder culls lie are ahead.

In my office at work, I have about 100 linear feet of shelf space, and these aren't trade books. They're Elsevier, North Holland, Springer-Verlag, including many hard cover mathematical texts set by hand in the era before Donald Knuth and computerized typesetting. Fifty dollars an inch, conservatively valued. It sounds crazy, but a couple hundred dollars a month over the course of more than thirty years of faculty life adds up. I set no records. There is not so much sticker shock as resignation. I expect to retire in a decade, give or take, and that 175 total linear feet will have to culled down to the 75 feet I have here. The rest will be divided into two parts, the marketable to be sold at O'Gara and Wilson Booksellers in the traditional UC faculty capitulation, the rest to be simply given away, stacked if need be on the radiators of Ryerson Hall for those who will have them.

But what of the next decade? Even if my acquisitions have slowed down from six inches a month to three, that's another three feet a year, another thirty feet over that last working decade. Or is it?

I think it is not. I love paper books. I love their heft, their feel. But I've been slowly moving from preferring digital editions only if they're cheap, to preferring digital editions. Old eyes prefer larger type, and old shoulders prefer a lighter backpack. And digital books don't face that hard, hard cull, which grows closer with each passing day.

I don't think that books are passing away, but I do think that paper books are passing away. Today's libraries are morgues, and today's librarians know it. They're preparing for a very different world. And with great reluctance, so I am. The world of bound, physical books is passing away. Look at it, love it, and ultimately, remember it, for our successors will not. Their world is still being borne.

Peace

3 comments:

jh said...

poignant testimony pal
i am presently beleaguered with a whole den full of books mostly high quality hardcover everything from liturgical stuff ancient leather bound some stuff falling apart and hefty smatterings of paperbacks what to do have a bon fire it is crayzay i mean the sellers market is odd but there are people who still want quality books that's for sure

i need to downsize
i've become a sentient library rat
creating my own thought space out of a seeming endless array of texts

patrick kavanagh is what i read today

on my desk i have

the alchymist's journal

aucassin and nicolette etc.

miller's -the american puritans

we know who we are ( metis study)

marcel breuer and the benedictine church in collegeville

oliver sacks hallucinations

beautiful losers

spiritual friendship aelred of rievaulx

the blood seed

jones very complete poems

calivin vs sadoleto - a debate

the wishing bone cycle

the voice that is great within us

erasmus

the temptations of big bear

notes on a bottle found on the beach at carmel

deus lo volt!



and sundry papers music scores flotsam and jetsom


i should hope you would consider creative writing or just writing in general an important medium for the years of our out-to-pasturedom
which are coming up which by god are well nigh upon us

i think i am out to pasture

it's sorta nice out here


yee haw

br john

stu said...

jh,

Thank you for your kind and encouraging thoughts. That's a heck of set of books on your desk. At my office at work, I have three desks Amish-built standup desks shoved together, propping up two computers (my work computer -- faith, and my web server -- brick), with a little clear spot in front of the working computer. The rest is covered with papers and books, a pretty eclectic and idiosyncratic set...

Work related

A Guide to LaTeX
Networks, Crowds, and Markets
The Unix Programming Environment
XML in a Nutshell
Python Essential Reference
Discrete Structures, Logic, and Computability
Structure and Interpretation of Celestial Mechanics
A 2nd copy of The Unix Programming Environment (!)
Secure Coding in C and C++
Basic Set Theory

And then there's the other stuff

Basics of Verbal Aspect in Biblical Greek
A Primer of Biblical Greek
Good News! Sermons of Hope for Today's Families (Jeremiah Wright)
Christianity for the Rest of Us
Unbinding Your Heart
The Wire Donkey (A Kirby recommendation)
Sanskara (ditto)
Walking a Literary Labrinth (A Bob Klonowski recommendation)
Man and the State (A John Hanson recommendation)
Heaven (Jill Essbaum -- a GM Palmer Recommendation)
Necropolis (Jill Essbaum -- ditto)
God and the New Atheism
Making Sense of Evolution
Not as a Thing for a Moment, but for All Time
To Rule the Waves
Young, Broke, and Beautiful
Robert's Rules of Order
Robert's Rules for Dummies

I've probably missed a few amidst the clutter.

So many books. So many good intentions... So much a witness to the fact that, if presented with a new task, or a new responsibility, my first instinct is to buy a book.

After decades of reading more or less completely at my own direction, I was recently invited to join a book club, and so read "The Rebellious Life of Mrs. Rosa Parks," and am currently reading "Cutting for Stone," two books that I wouldn't likely have read otherwise, but I've enjoyed tremendously.

Sentient library rat?! I see my own reflection in your mirror.

Craig said...

A recent acquisition in hardback, Interlibrary Loan by Gene Wolfe, published posthumously and a great companion piece to Peace which I reread last summer, published in 1974. He's mostly known as a SciFi guy bent towards Sword and Sorcery. He's a cousin or maybe even a nephew of Thomas (You Can't Go Home Again)Wolfe and it shows in his prose. He wrote Peace while on faculty in Creative Writing at University of Houston. The short story course I took there as a student that year was with a young guy named Cleghorne. Can't remember his first name, but all his students called him Foghorn and it was apt. Should have been cast in Terms of Endearment. Also just finished Babel: An Arcane History by R.F. Kuang. Astounding. Now reading The Dragon Republic, second volume of her Poppy Wars trilogy.